If you are in search of an excellent EDC knife which is not only durable but easy on your wallet as well, then check out my Spyderco Endura 4 review. Here we go.
The Spyderco Endura series has been in the Spyderco catalogue for decades. This series of knives are usually known as flagship representatives of Spyderco because of just how much they have been present and how much they have evolved over the years.
The Endura 4 plain-edge knife is a perfect accessory for performing a range of tasks. The Emerson opener is the Endura’s most distinctive feature, with a hook that curves out of the top of the knife blade. Each time you remove the Endura 4 from a front pocket, the hook will catch the pocket’s edge, quickly opening the knife blade so it is ready to use. The Emerson opener makes this a terrific knife for fishing, hunting, and other sports where one-handed use is crucial.
Inside the handle are dual skeletonized stainless-steel liners, which strengthen the knife without adding additional weight. This also creates an anchor for attaching external and internal components. Other features include screw construction for easy cleaning and adjustment, slip-resistant jimping on the blade’s spine, and phosphor bronze washers which smoothens out the action of opening and closing.
Spyderco Endura 4 Review: All Details At a Glance
- Folding knife with patented Emerson blade-opening feature
- Hook on knife blade catches pocket’s edge for easy opening with one hand
- Saber-ground VG-10 steel blade with strong tip and 13mm opening hole
- Fiberglass reinforced nylon handle molded with bi-directional texturing
- Clip which opens four ways
- Screw-together construction.
- Skeletonized steel internal liners
- Phosphor bronze washers.
- FRN bi-directional textured handle
- David Boye Dent
- Enlarged opening hole.
- Spine jimping
- Flat saber-ground blade.
- Click to read full specification on Amazon
- Blade material: VG-10 steel
- Handle material: Fiberglass reinforced nylon
- Blade length of 3-13/16 inches
- Hole diameter of 1/2 inches
- Blade thickness of 1/8 inches
- Closed length of 5 inches
- Overall length: 8-13/16 inches
- Weight: 3.6 ounces
- Product dimensions: 6.5 x 2.5 x 1 inches
- Shipping weight of 2.4 ounces
- Made in USA
Spyderco Endura 4 Review – Blade
.The Endura 4 has a long slender blade. It is a pretty simple drop point shape with a full flat grind. The Endura is a great slicer. The long and slim blade is also good at penetrating soft targets. However, the tip is quite thin. So some caution should be exerted when using the knife.
Spyderco selected VG-10 for this edition of the Endura 4 which was an excellent choice. VG-10 is a high end Japanese steel that sharpens easily, offers good edge retention, and has great corrosion resistance.
The handle has been made of fiberglass reinforced nylon (FRN) with nested steel liners. This helps in making the knife slightly lighter without compromising on quality. Spyderco has made a smart move by introducing this knife in a range of funky colors. In this way, the blues, greens, oranges, browns, and purples will help to cater to a range of personal preferences. It is quite suitable for light to medium use as it holds up quite well.
Ergonomics on the Endura 4 are good. The length allows you to have plenty of room for multiple styles of forward and reverse grips. The FRN has rounded and contoured corners that work well with the aggressively textured flats. The texture is Spyderco’s proprietary “bi-directional texturing” and allows for a firm grip in almost any condition. All in all, the Endura 4 has a solid handle design backed by smart ergonomics.
The Endura4 also houses a pocket clip which has been implemented well. With a standard spoon size, it has been given a black coating. The clip rides decently low and also provides good retention. The clip can also be mounted on any four corners of the knife, which is quite admirable.
Lock and deployment
The Spyderco Endura 4 makes use of a large 13mm thumb hole for deployment. The “Spyder Hole” is well placed and provides lots of room for your thumb. The knife opens easily with the flick of a thumb thanks to the smart design and low friction phosphor bronze washers. A waved version of this knife is aslo available for those not wanting the standard design.
The Endura 4 utilizes a lockback. Even though it is lightweight with the scaled liners nestled in, it is unlikely to hold up quite well.
- Pocket clip with black coating
- Spine and choil jimping
- David Boye dent
- Available in different blade options:
|Amazon Price:||Check here||Check here||Check here|
Spyderco Endura4: The Pros & Cons
- Good for controlled cutting tasks and offensive use
- VG-10 steel is very hard and holds an edge for a very long time
- The oversized Spyderhole opening hole makes opening super easy
- Wave feature is amazing
- FRN handle slabs are tough which ensures good grip
- Perfect shape of the handle
- Good construction
- Easy to open and close
- Sometimes gets stuck in the pants
- Not suitable for heavy use
- Knife does not sharpen easily
- Blade wiggles which then needs tightening
- Pivot is far too back
- Side panels are too flexible to keep the knife in place
>> Click for HD pictures and customer reviews on Amazon <<
Spyderco Endura 4 Review: Our Notes
Now it is time to wrap up my Spyderco Endura 4 review. After getting all the analysis done regarding the Endura 4, it is a staple in Spyderco’s line of high-performance folding knives. This is a knife which is suitable to be carried around every day. On the other hand, it is also big enough to be used as a defensive option or a serious tool. Here are my notes:
I like the fact that the Spyderco Endura 4 has been made ambidextrous and also been launched in a range of colors. The materials used and the fit and finish are both top-notch. Even though the blade is slightly thinner than its counterparts, it still provides the opportunity for excessive jimping. The VG-10 steel is an excellent choice for this knife as it is highly resistant to corrosion. For the price being charged, the VG-10 is a fairly good choice. All in all, this is by far the best defensive knives which can be found in the market.
Where to buy: Amazon (here's a direct link)