I have recently come across a lot of knives, but none has captured my attention like that of Spyderco Manix 2. That is why it was just inevitable for me to give you all a Spyderco Manix 2 review. This is truly a one of a kind knife which would be a great addition to the collection of knife enthusiasts. This is because this knife is a full-on display to all the demands of an EDC knife, and more.
The Spyderco Manix 2 knife has been known to be a recipe for folding knife success. The original Manix was introduced way back in 2004. This is the second generation version of the same line. With a few tweaks here and there, it was launched into the market with a burst of additional features. The most notable of these is a ball bearing lock that performs exceptionally well.
The Manix 2 has gone on to become the most popular and coveted knife manufactured by Spyderco. It features a blade made of exotic high carbon steel and a patented and hard ball-bearing lock. This free-floating ball-bearing lock is contained in a polymer cage which has been customized specially for this feature. This allows the lock to adjust itself over a wide range of surfaces, while also consistently and smoothly locking up.
The blade is made of 154 cms of metal. Full steel liners have jimping that extend beyond the G-10 steel scales. Over the handle’s perimeter are scalloping areas to ensure a tight and firm grip. The double-purpose liners add consistency and rigidity to the handle. Also, a three-screw clip has been formatted for carriers who are left-handed or right-handed.
>> Click for HD pictures and customer reviews on Amazon <<
Spyderco Manix 2 Review: All Details At a Glance
- Made in USA
- Manufactured only using materials of the highest quality
- Consistently tested for durability and quality
- The most trusted name for your cutlery needs
- One of Spyderco’s most popular versions
- Blade made of exotic high carbon steel
- Patented ball-bearing lock
- Flat ground CPM S30V blade of stainless steel with a plain cutting edge and thum serrations
- Round hole of 14 millimeters
- Full steel liners with extended jimping
- G10 handle which is nonslip
- Ambidextrous tip-up clip
- Oversized piped lanyard
- Eight inches in overall length
- 4.625 inches in closed length
- 3.375 inches in blade length
- Blade thickness of three millimeters
- Weight of five ounces
- Provides a limited manufacturer’s warranty against defects in workmanship and materials
- Product dimensions: 8 x 2.5 x 1 inches
- Shipping weight of 5.9 ounces
The steel which has been used in Manix 2 is a hardened and powered metallurgy steel. This then leads to the formation of vanadium carbides. This is quite notable as vanadium carbides have been known to cut more effectively than chromium carbides.
The S30V steel also has a very good resistance to corrosion. Because of this feature, the price has been kept a bit higher. Regardless of that, this is still considered to be one of the best Spyderco knife steels available in sale.
The blade is of 154 mm which makes it a fantastic combination of shape and size. It also provides some generous jimping on the thumb ramp. In addition, there is also a front choil for jimping. Even though choils have been known to be quite useful, they can reduce the cutting edge. However, to combat this, this knife has an edged length of 2.875 inches.
The finish is extremely high polished which can stand the tests of corrosion. Overall, this is an extremely useful blade which should prove to be quite durable.
The G10 and solid stainless liners make for a seriously awesome tool. The lack of liners makes for easy cleaning. This is because it provides less scope for grime and dirt to stick to the knife. This is a knife which exhibits perfect balance of grip. This is a huge upgrade all by itself. The fit and finish is also top notch.
The general choil hugs your index finger which instills confidence in yourself. This is an extremely comfortable knife to hold. Even with a high amount of jimping scope, the knife is extremely stable. You can barely feel the knife in your pockets. While it is in your pocket, the Manix 2 can seem pretty wide. The ball-bearing lock may be stiff to disengage at first. But after a couple of pulling and a bit of your hand gymnastic skills, you will get the hang of it. You will be easily able to close it with one hand after a while.
- Nonslip handle of G-10 steel
- Ambidextrous tip-up clip
- Oversized and a 14-millimeter round hole
- Oversized piped lanyard
- Patented and free-flowing ball-bearing lock
- Go to Amazon for more information
Spyderco Manix 2: The Pros & Cons
- Perfect size which fits into the palm of your hand as well as your pocket
- The steel construction does not make the knife feel heavy in your pocket
- Also includes a partial open spine
- The hollow grind razor is sharp out of the box
- Well-polished blade surfaces
- Can be easily screwed together
- Full stainless steel liners
- Scales have just the right amount of nonslip texture, without it becoming too gritty
- Anti-slip ridges distributed evenly along portions of the handle and blade
- Handle is well-contoured, full size, with multiple finger grooves
- All rounded edges
- No sharp edges to snag a finger
- Slightly difficult to break-in
- Requires a lit bit of work and dedication to fully become adjusted to it
- Slightly higher-priced (although Amazon has a nice discount here)
Spyderco Manix 2: Our Notes
After going through all the features and specifications, it is time to wrap up the Spyderco Manix 2 review. I hope that this Spyderco Manix 2 review has been useful to you. In my words, when the going gets tough, buy a Manix 2. It won’t let you down.
With Manix 2, Spyderco has created a truly outstanding pocket knife which can be used in a wide variety of situations. This is one of the toughest EDC knives out there and will stand to all kinds of abuse. The handle is one of the most comfortable I have ever felt. In terms of the blade construction, it is quite sharp and durable. The Manix 2 represents an innovative, cutting-edge company’s passion for knife-making. The large amount of jimping and scales means that it won’t be slipping much from your hand.
Best Deal: Amazon (here's a direct link)